Some of that Vegas Sparkle...

Thursday 1 May 2014




Hey Guys!

I am very excited to present to you the final installment of the (Minerva) Vegas line up! you all know it's not the end of the general admission Vegas line up :)


For this kit, I chose to try out another Bengaline - and I went out on a  bit of a limb for this one. It's a sort of purpley-burgundy colour with gold glitter in it! Definitely not my usual choice but I was feeling the Vegas vibe. Now that the outfit is complete I'm actually really happy with it!


I initially was intending to make a dress, but with time running out and other holiday items left to make I decided to sacrifice and make a simple swing skirt.

Having finished the skirt, I felt like it looked slightly disappointing following on from my previous few offerings, so I threw caution to the wind and pattern hacked my BHL Anna bodice. As far as I remember I added 3" to the back seam and add an inch to the bottom all around. I of course forgot to use the stretch running horizontal again - although I'm somewhat glad I didn't as you'll find out.


After putting some of the bodice together and having a momentary fitting, it seemed that the bodice was a bit snug so I let out each pleat about 2/8". I had already shortened the pleats from previous makes. It may have been ok in the end, and I have no idea why it felt any different to usual but no harm no foul.


My major issues came up when I was doing the button placket down the back. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't cut the stretch on the horizontal, which can only mean I cut it on the vertical. I turned a small lip under for the placket and the folded over 1" twice more. And of course, as I was stitching it down it all started stretching out. I even tried to use my walking foot to no avail whatsoever. Both plackets ended up warped and wobbly like a glittery purple sea.. If only I had interfaced. Hindsight's 20:20, eh? 


I tried the only thing I could think of and tried to shrink it with steam. It looked like it worked a bit, but it was still warpy when buttoned up, and the steam was starting to strip the glitter (which is one of the reasons I reneged on washing the fabric first - I think I forgot to mention that, naughty me). I wanted it as glittery as can be for Vegas - come what may with the first wash!!  


So the only thing I could so was hand tack the back opening down and ease it as I went. I did check I could get it on first, and I can with 1 button open, miraculously. It is marginally roomier I guess than a dress bodice would be! Probably due to my letting out the pleats in the first place, and a little extra ease in the extended back piece. The bottom hem was a simple turn under and stitch jobbie.


I have a bunch of the fabric left, so I'm still considering whether to recut the bodice and redo it with interfacing.

Do I have the patience?


During this make I wasn't sure it was going to make it into the Vegas rotation due to little thought and planning going into the production (I did try to plan but nothing promising came to me) and then I was trying to decide what outfit to bump. All hail last minute crazed sewing!


The buttons weren't intended when ordering the kit, and are deep stash. Different buttons unfortunately for skirt and top, but they at least both complement the fabric.

The skirt is the same as used for my leopard print dress, a simple Simplicity swing skirt, actually the first thing I ever sewed :)


I did a lapped zipper on the skirt - which is now my ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE!! Thanks to tutorials by both Nicole and Winnie on their blogs. I will literally use this anywhere and everywhere I can now.

HAND PICKED AND EVRYFINK.

And I somehow found a thread that is bloody well invisible in this fabric. Its just so easy to get a good result from this method. I super enjoy doing it, I actually find this method really relaxing, like a form of meditation. Communing with zippers.

So as we can all see, there's a little gap between the separates occasionally.  nothing indecent - and really, about as much as I would feel comfortable with. And it's not clear initially - it's a bit peek-a-boo which is cute.

I'll leave you with a photo of me wearing the dress in Vegas :)


And my favourite Outtake pic of all :)


I look like I'm doing a pin-up face, but there was probably something in my teeth.... haha

Emmie x

11 comments :

  1. Helen McFadyen1 May 2014 at 12:41

    I love this! I did think it was a dress initially, and loved that it isn't. I can't see the glitter but believe you that it's there! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sew Little Time1 May 2014 at 13:05

    i love it. very on trend with the tiny bit of skin showing! i also thought it was an anna with a belt at first. and i love your pin up face and headscarf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaitlyn Emmett1 May 2014 at 13:32

    Elegant to a tee. I love the idea of a button back Anna blouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charity Shop Chic1 May 2014 at 13:52

    Gorgeous as usual! I think the matching top and blouse is generally under-rated; you are really making it work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fab! Even the outtake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MacStabby Jay1 May 2014 at 17:11

    Love the outfit- I wish my eyes were magic so I could see the goldy parts! I LOVE the idea of hacking the Anna dress for the top- very cute, both on-trend and a whiff of vintage with it. It fits you so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this little two piece number! Such a great idea to do the button back. You look so great with your hair like that with the scarf! Looking forward to seeing more Vegas pics and hopefully hearing all about it soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. ozzyblackbeard3 May 2014 at 21:22

    Oh my goodness, this is gorgeous! I gasped when I saw the button-back top, what a brilliant pattern hack. And I love your hair! Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the back too! Beautiful! I hope you enjoyed your trip in the states :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Stitching Odyssey7 May 2014 at 00:25

    This is my dream outfit Emmie, love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heeehee you're so cute in that last photo! Well done on trying a new fabric. It really looks great as a two piece!

    ReplyDelete

I really adore reading your comments :)

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs