Cupcake Delight!

Saturday 30 March 2013

Hello Everybody!

I thought I would share with you some cupcakes that I made for my friends Baby Shower. I wanted to do this post because the recipe was a bit different to the norm, and I was a bit apprehensive about doing it untested!
Normally in cupcake recipes I've seen, you tend to have equal measures of flour, sugar and butter (as in my Good Housekeeping and Lorraine Pascale baking books) . 















This one however was from The Hummingbird Bakery and the measures of flour/sugar/water were all different, with quite a small amount of butter, and in addition had quite a lot of milk. 

I was a bit paranoid about messing up the treats I had planned for the Shower so I went and bought myself an oven thermometer so I could be sure the oven was okay (as baking is so scientific!) and what do you know, the oven was running 20 degrees to cold. That could've been a disaster. My boyfriend also went and got me some mini-torches to keep an eye on my baked goods, as my oven also has no light! 

And the result was - amazing!


They are The Hummingbird Bakery 'Vanilla Cupcakes' with vanilla frosting. I piped it on initially with my biggest nozzle (which turms out wasn't that big), and didn't really like how it turned out. I had some marshmallow fluff frosting left over from my other treats, so scraped all the blue frosting off again, and added the leftover marshmallow fluff frosting in and piped it with no nozzle on the bag. I tried a technique that I saw on one of those reality cake shows (I think it may have been D.C cupcakes) and it really worked. 

Although perhaps my many years pulling '99 ice-cream cones helped!

This guy is my favourite!



The oddest part of the cupcake were how they rose. If you look carefully you can see that they rose up really square with the cupcake cases. I was a bit concerned to begin with, as most cupcakes or fairy cakes end up quite rounded. They had really flat tops too!


See how square they are??
That didn't affect the taste though! They were amazing! So so so moist, I've never tasted anything like it. 
Even after 3 days (there were one or two left!) they tasted so good. And I'm ridiculously fussy about any cake I eat being 'on the day' fresh. My boyfriend is a '5 days later' kind of person. Ulgh.

So I would therefore really recommend this recipe as a 'day before' one that you can whip up to save time!
I really wish I had known that beforehand as I was baking from 9am to 2pm!

I also did these adorable Whoopie Pies! They had a Marshmallow fluff/Buttercream frosting to sandwich them. They were also The Hummingbird Bakery. 


They were also really good!

This is book I was working from, I highly recommend it. There are some interesting taste ideas and flavour combinations in there too.


Anyone got a sweet tooth?

Love, Emmie xx



3 comments :

  1. Look delicious! I love the blue and white icing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I would like to try this recipe but worried about my dental health

    Doc's Dental

    ReplyDelete

I really adore reading your comments :)

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs